Junior Expert in Natural Resources Management
June 27, 2016
Under the supervision of the Project Manager and with the technical support from HQ, the Junior Expert in Natural Resources Management shall be responsible as follows:
- Provide technical support and guidance to the park staff in the implementation of the Park Management Plan with regards to the Ecosystem Management component
- Provide technical support and training to park staff on environmental monitoring activities and protocols (mainly related to avifauna, mammals, sea turtles, mangroves) in close consultation with international and local experts/institutions (i.e University of Insubria, BANCA NGO, etc)
- Provide support and guidance to park staff in the implementation of regular marine and terrestrial patrolling activities within the Park, applying SMART software, in close consultation with international and local experts/institutions (i.e WCS)
- Provide technical support and guidance to park staff in data collection, entry & analysis of Patrolling & Environmental Data (GPS, mapping and basic IT/PC usage…)
- Support project staff in the process of definition of Limit of Use regarding forestry/timber resources within the identified Local Use Zones in the existing Zoning Plan
- Support park staff at field level in following agreed and defined law enforcement mechanisms
- Assist project staff and park staff in the definition of Environmental Education activities at community level
- Promote and facilitate community involvement in patrolling, environmental monitoring and conservation activities, in collaboration with park staff.
- Support the definition of detailed work plans in consultation with park staff and key community members, organize and facilitate regular coordination meeting to plan and review the field work
- Support the Project Manager in the definition of possible research programs/priorities with local and/or international universities
- Ensure proper organization of work and supervision of one field officer, who will assist the expert in the implementation of all field activities and coordination with park staff
- Ensure positive and productive working relations and coordination with Park Warden and Park staff and local authorities and community leaders
- Promote and facilitate the involvement of park staff in ecotourism / interpretation related activities
- Regularly submit reports to the Project Manager
Qualifications, Skill and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Natural Resources Management / Environmental Sciences or related field;
- At least 3 years relevant work experience in one of the following areas: natural resources management, protected areas and/or habitat management (including community based conservation), wildlife conservation, experience working with protected area authorities and government counterparts. Specific experience should be either field-based, in academia, training, or a combination.
- Familiarity with Protected Areas & Natural Recourses management issues in Myanmar and/or Southeast Asia is an asset
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and communications skills, conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics;
- Ready to live and work in extremely remote areas, with limited access to Internet (previous working experience in isolated areas preferred).
Duty Station is Lampi Marine National Park - Myeik archipelago, Tanintharyi Division.
R&R every 3 weeks in Kawthaung, every 2 -3 months in Yangon.
Remuneration according to experience
Starting Date: July-August 2016
Necessary documents for application
• Cover letter expressing why you are interested in applying this position
• Updated CV (max 2 pages with photo)
All interested applicants shall submit the above documents by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org , indicating Vacancy Notice No COAST/2016 in the subject line.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Istituto Oikos provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability status, political affiliation, marital status.
Deadline for applications: 11 July 2016