UNESCO Jakarta is looking for an Assistant for Sustainable Water Management
January 17, 2016
Job Title: Assistant for Sustainable Water Management
Unit: Water and Environmental Sciences (WES)
Duty Station: Jakarta
Level: NOA (Only candidates legally entitled to work in Indonesia may apply for this post)
Starting Date: 15 February 2016
Duration of Contract: 3 months (renewable, subject to availability of funds)
Closing date of Application: 29 January 2016
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Under the authority of the Director and direct supervision of the Responsible Officer for Water and Environmental Sciences of the UNESCO Office, Jakarta, the incumbent shall provide assistance for the development of innovative approaches for sustainable water management in Indonesia and Asia and the Pacific region.
This will include:
- Undertake and support scientific research in ecohydrology to attain water security in Indonesia
- Developing a regional strategies in promoting research in ecohydrology by identifying key areas of research, establishing demonstration sites, and developing guidelines and models.
- Liaise with the Asia Pacific Centre for Ecohydrology (APCE) to facilitate the studies on peatland and river management
- Demonstrate how the integration of ecology and hydrology could lead to better results regarding the sustainability of water resources at a catchment scale
- Development a strategy for the functioning of the platform of universities on Ecohydrology in Indonesia, for the collaboration and exchange of scientific, technical and policy relevant information
- Develop strategy for capacity building in Ecohydrology in the region (strengthening links with existing water education network and through training)
- Provide technical support to local partners for the studies related to sustainable urban water management in Jogjakarta and in Medan
2. Carry out other duties as requested by the Director of the UNESCO Office, Jakarta and the Responsible Officer for Water and Environmental Sciences. This may include other UNESCO sciences activities and projects at national and regional levels.
3. Assist the Water and Environmental Sciences (WES) Unit in the day-to-day coordination of the project activities, i.e. planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting;
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Graduate degree (Master degree or equivalent) in hydrology, water resources management, development studies, environmental & water law, natural resources management, social sciences and/or related fields.
- At least 4 years of practical experience.
- Strong knowledge of UNESCO International Hydrological Programme (IHP)
- Good knowledge of water and development challenges in Indonesia and in the Asia and the Pacific region.
- Excellent knowledge of water management tool such as Ecohydrology and IWRM
- Strong technical and popular writing and speaking English and Indonesian skills.
- Strong fundraising and networking skills (with partners and donors).
- Management experience with ability to manage projects independently and with a team.
- UN experience, a plus.
To apply, please email to jakarta(at)unesco.org with the subject heading ‘Assistant for Sustainable Water Management' by 29 January 2016.
The application shall include:
- Introduction letter: briefly discuss your background, experience, interests, and why you feel you are qualified for this position.
- Current resume (no more than 3 pages) with salary history and 3 professional references.
- (Optional) A scientific or technical publication in English as a primary or second author
UNESCO will not respond to inquiries about application status and will only contact candidates under serious consideration.