Vacancy at UNESCO Jakarta; Sustainability Science Assistant
January 17, 2016
Job Title: Sustainability Science Assistant
Unit: Water and Environmental Sciences (WES)
Duty Station: Jakarta
Level: NOA (Only candidates legally entitled to work in Indonesia may apply for this post)
Starting Date: 15 February 2016
Duration of Contract: 3 months (renewable, subject to availability of funds)
Closing date of Application: 29 January 2016
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Under the authority of the Director and direct supervision of the Responsible Officer for Water and Environmental Sciences of the UNESCO Office, Jakarta, the incumbent shall provide assistance for the development of innovative approaches for sustainable water management in Indonesia and Asia and the Pacific region.
This will include:
- Provide assistance and support to the implementation of the project on “Science Harnessed for ASEAN Regional Policy (SHARP)
- Support demonstration of environmental sustainability best practices to underpin sustainable development policies across the ASEAN Member States
- Develop actions for showcasing and synthesizing best environmental management principles and practices through demonstration projects in the ASEAN member states
- Promote ASEAN-UNESCO environmental science policy networks for harnessing science for peace, sustainability and social inclusion in ASEAN science policies
- Provide advices for the strengthening of environmental science-policy-society interface for improved natural resource management in ASEAN countries
- Conduct an analysis of past, current and future policy framework related to the development and implementation of environmental sustainability in ASEAN countries.
- Develop as well as implement a road map establishment of Sustainability Science demonstration sites in Cambodia, Philippines and Malaysia.
2. Carry out other duties as requested by the Director of the UNESCO Office, Jakarta and the Responsible Officer for Water and Environmental Sciences. This may include other UNESCO sciences activities and projects at national and regional levels.
3. Assist the Water and Environmental Sciences (WES) Unit in the day-to-day coordination of the project activities, i.e. planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting;
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Graduate degree (Master degree or equivalent) in Sustainability Science, environmental sustainability, development studies, environmental law, natural resources management, social sciences and/or related fields.
- At least 4 years of practical experience.
- Strong understanding in issues and policies related to: sustainable development, policy framework, environmental management, visioning planning, community outreach, management of protected areas under the umbrella of UNESCO, environmental education and awareness.
- Creativity in addressing environmental and conservation challenges, and is able to express ideas in concept notes, formal proposals, discussions, and public presentations.
- Strong technical and popular writing and speaking English and Indonesian skills.
- Strong fundraising and networking skills (with partners and donors).
- Management experience with ability to manage projects independently and with a team.
- Good knowledge and working experience in ASEAN countries.
- UN experience, a plus.
To apply, please email to jakarta(at)unesco.org with the subject heading‘Sustainability Science Assistant’ by 29 January 2016.
The application shall include:
- Introduction letter: briefly discuss your background, experience, interests, and why you feel you are qualified for this position.
- Current resume (no more than 3 pages) with salary history and 3 professional references.
- (Optional) A scientific or technical publication in English as a primary or second author
UNESCO will not respond to inquiries about application status and will only contact candidates under serious consideration.